hardware, list of compatible servers

Alan Dacey grokit at ajinfosearch.com
Mon Sep 27 21:33:37 UTC 2010

On Monday, September 27, 2010 06:20:44 am Uwe Brauer wrote:
> Hello
>
> So far I have only installed (K)ubuntu (or Linux in general)
> on PC with the X86 architecture.
>
> Most likely I have to try a server (whose architecture is
> different from the Intel PC I presume), for example a
>
> Lenovo ThinkServer TS200v 0981.
>
> Can anybody please point me out a web site (like Linux on
> laptops ) or a list, which gives information about the Linux
> compatibility of these servers?
>
> thanks
>
> Uwe Brauer

Don't look at the server itself, look at the parts that make the
server.  A quick search on the net found that it comes with an
Intel cpu, no problem there.  Intel graphics should be no problem
for server duties, if you even install a desktop.  What you need to
look at is the other parts like what chipsets make the nic run.  I
don't feel like downloading this [1] so look at the specs and google
each one with "linux" after it.  That will tell you about it.   Probably
no poroblems, but I don't have one so I'm not sure.

[1] http://www.lenovo.com/psref/pdf/svbook.pdf

Alan