kubuntu.org -> wiki: Too many intermediate links, bad website design, Fix would be great. :) ; jor

giovanni_re john_re at fastmail.us
Sat Sep 25 19:32:44 UTC 2010

Clay - thanks for the suggestion.  I'll send it to the kubuntu-devel
list.

I think it is truly a tragedy (admittedly minor, but tragic nontheless)
that apparently the relevant developers don't monitor this ku-user list,
so that user level concerns could get an answer for all the users to
see, from the relevant website & wiki developers.

Hopefully such developers will read this, & decide to monitor the
ku-user list more. :)

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 08:46:45 -0400, "Clay Weber" <claydoh at claydoh.com>
said:
> On Friday, September 24, 2010 12:00:35 am giovanni_re wrote:
> > Hi kubuntu.org website developers - thanks for all your great work. :)
> >
> > ==
> > Here's a test for you to see how difficult the current website is for
> > new kubuntu users:
> >
> > Find several friends or acquaintances who don't use GNU(Linux) yet, but
> > might be interested. (3-4 should be sufficient.)
> >
> > Ask them to do you this favor:
> >
> > 1) Go to kubuntu.com
> > 2) By simply reading the webisite (ie, not doing a search) & clicking on
> > links, find the kubuntu.com main wiki page.
> >
> > 3) For you, website developer:
> > 3a) Time how long it takes them, &
> > 3b) count how many web pages they had to open & read.
> >
> > Anyone reading this list care to try that & post here the results?
> >
> > ==
> > KUbuntu website developers:
> > 1) Is it on the todo list to make it easier for people to find the
> > KUbuntu wiki?
> > 2) Any idea when that will be done?
> >

> > Thanks :)
> >

> This is probably better directed to the kubuntu-devel list,

> Why would a new user, generally speaking, need to use the kubuntu or
> ubuntu
> wiki?

Clay - Need? -  "gain benefit from" is both
1) the relevant question,
2) and the answer.

BTW, the kubuntu wiki fails to be the wiki it should be:
on its page it says it is about development,
but it should actually be about _all_ aspects of KUbuntu,
not _merely_ development.

This is a bad/unhelpful/harmful_to_the_KUbuntu_community reality:
"STOP This is the place for people willing to help to improve Ubuntu. If
you are looking for user help related documentation you are in the wrong
place."
https://wiki.kubuntu.org/

The wiki's _#1_MAIN_PURPOSE_ should be for
"user help related documentation".

Hopefully, both the
a) purpose, &
b) description on the wiki.kubuntu.com/org page
can be updated soon to represent that better reality.  :)

> All the actual

Actual, though incomplete.  Because there is no
1) KUbuntu wiki (you know ubuntu is not kubuntu)
2) and it should be listed on the main KUbuntu.com page

(Kubuntu.com, [& kubuntu.org], because ubuntu has ubuntu.com.
& ubuntu.org is not the same organization.)

> support areas are listed in the support page -
> help.ubuntu.com  the correct wiki for that right in the support page.
>

> (not that there shouldn't be a link to the regular wiki, though)
Absolutely correct you are, Clay, right there. :)

==  Join in the Global weekly meetings, via VOIP, about all Free SW HW & Culture