nfs mount problem

Brian Wootton Brian.Meg at btinternet.com
Thu Sep 23 18:41:14 UTC 2010

On 23/09/10 17:38, kubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
> ubject:
> Re: nfs mount problem
> From:
> Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com>
> Date:
> Thu, 23 Sep 2010 11:31:38 -0400
>
> To:
> kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com

>> >  Please give us some extra information (if it's there), like:
>> >  - Command used to mount the share
>> >  - Other lines in /etc/exports
>> >  - Changes you did in other files (/etc/default/nfs-common, /etc/idmap.conf)
>> >  - Is the portmap daemon running?
>> >  - Do you have nfs-common installed on the client and nfs-kernel-server on the
>> >  server?
>> >  - What does 'showmount -e' on the server tell you?
>> >
>> >  I see you use the insecure option? The only use of that option that I know of
>> >  is the NFS kioslave, but that will not work in your case because your share is
>> >  a subdirectory. [1]
>> >
>> >  [1]https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/385514
>>
> I just assumed that it might be an nfsv4 "root fs" problem but this is
> a more comprehensive and "holistic" approach.
>
> I would add "rpcinfo -p" on the server.
>
> The "insecure" option is needed if you have OS X clients.

This is a cut/paste from konsole

> % sudo /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server start
> [sudo] password for brian:
>   * Exporting directories for NFS kernel daemon...                                                                                                               [ OK ]
>   * Starting NFS kernel daemon                                                                                                                                   [ OK ]
> % showmount -e
> Export list for meg:
> /pub/brian meg
> % ps aux | grep portmap
> daemon     667  0.0  0.0   8256   616 ?        Ss   11:04   0:00 portmap
> brian     4585  0.0  0.0   7632   992 pts/1    S+   19:23   0:00 grep --color=auto portmap
> % ls -ls /pub
> total 4
> 4 drwxr-xr-x 2 brian brian 4096 2010-09-18 11:14 brian
>

> % more /etc/exports
> # /etc/exports: the access control list for filesystems which may be exported
> #               to NFS clients.  See unfsd(8).
> /pub/brian      meg(ro,insecure,all_squash,sync,no_subtree_check)

/pub is owned by root.

My client machine is a laptop running the latest Mandriva Spring release
and I have used KNetAttach as well as 'mount -t nfs meg:/pub/brian
also used IP address here - all no go.
  I think it has to be the arguments to the entry in etc/exports, but
I've tried
so many different combinations now I'm utterly confused. I don't like or
want 'insecure'.
I'm starting the nfs server manually for the moment, when I can get it all
working I'll put it the boot-up start list.
brian