When adding an attachment in kmail it shows it as a screenshot of a directory

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Thu Sep 23 09:29:25 UTC 2010

user1 wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 15:12:45 +0000, user1 wrote:
> > I am using lucid and kde 4.4.5
> >
> > When I add an attachment of a jpg image in kmail and set its
> > properties to "Suggest automatic display" it does not show the
> > image, and when I then try to open the jpg file it shows an older
> > screenthot of a directory and call it: "It is a directory".
> >
> > I saw the same thing happen some time ago with another attachment
> > from another person.
> >
> > I tried to make a jpg file from a screenshot with both shutter and
> > scrot, but same thing happened.
> >
> > There seems to be some kind of mix up when i use this feature in
> > kmail.
>
> I have reinstalled kmail but it does not help.

Reinstalling kmail should not help at all. The configuration of kmail is
stored somewhere in your home directory and that is off-limits for the
installer. Only if your installed version of kmail was damaged, it might
help to reinstall the applicattion.

> By the way, I have upgraded to kde 4.4.5 from the lucid 10.04 default
> kde version?

Well, that is at least a hint where the problem could come from. Maybe
one of your configuration files wasn't upgraded correctly for some
reason and maybe it isn't even related to kmail itself.

Please check your file associations, maybe there is something wrong for
jpeg files and they are associated with directories. Another option
would be to close kmail and make a backup of your $HOME/.kde/ directory
where KDE configurations are stored and then remove the file
"$HOME/.kde/share/config/kmailrc". Then you would start kmail from
scratch (at least partly) and you would probably have to configure all
your kmail settings again.

Nils