Laggy 10.04 (Was: Re: ssh logins on 10.04)

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Sep 7 16:59:12 BST 2010

On Tuesday, September 07, 2010 11:31:50 am Reinhold Rumberger did opine:

> On Tuesday 07 September 2010, gene heskett wrote:
> > This 10.04 system TBT, is awful laggy, even from its own keyboard.
> >
> >  I think the next item to install is htop & figure out whats
> >
> > hogging the cpu. 6.06 never suffered from this.  Humm, htop shows
> > nothing.  The lags is as if the multi-tasking context switch is 2
> > seconds or so.  And htop says nothing is hogging the system, but
> > it is 12 megs into swap sitting overnight.  6.06 was never into
> > swap.
>
> Apart from the obvious (getting a list of running processes and
> looking for anything superfluous): is kdm running?

It shouldn't be the default is gnome with the LTS version.

> Also, you should note that since 10.04 uses upstart, you're going to
> have to edit the files in /etc/init (no, not /etc/init.d) by hand to
> stop the services from starting every boot.

Wasn't aware of that, thanks.

> Just to make things more
> fun, there are still quite a few apps that use the old Sys-V init
> style.

Can we look and see something that will define which is which?

> You might also want to check whether /tmp is on the disk or using
> some RAM fs.

Fresh install, sb on /, looks like it is.  I did a swapoff -a, then a swapon
-a, that that helped I believe.

> Having it in RAM works quite well for desktop machines
> that only run a day or so. On a server, it will tend to fill up force
> the use of swap.
>
> BTW, if you find any apps that turn out to be major resource hogs,
> feel free to post them here, as I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one
> glad for a little pointer (I'll likely do my first proper install
> since 8.04 in a few months and would be glad for a list of things to
> watch out for).
>
>   --Reinhold
The next problem goes back to the EMC list, Its running
2.6.32-122-rtai

But the rtapi module cannot be found. so all of emc is out of commission.

Thanks Reinhold, now I'm back to swearing at a few gallons of Olympic Wood
protector, trying to get it to jump out of the can, into an HVLP sprayer
and thence onto a large quantity of native poplar I stacked up to look like
a shadowbox style privacy fence after a 112mph wind took ours into the next
drainage on June 24th.  Temps not to bad when I started about 9ish, but at
noon the temps are looking to exceed the 85F they predicted for today.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)