Spam:****, Re: universal home partition??

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kubuntu.org
Sun Sep 5 10:49:32 UTC 2010

Hi all,

On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 12:35, Lindsay Mathieson
<lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Sep 2010 07:03:35 pm Goh Lip wrote:
>> I only have one partition for each OS, no separate /home, /var, /boot,
>> etc. (I sometimes wonder why set separately and then use LVM to optimize
>> disk usage across sub-partitions). I do have a separate very big Data
>> partition to hold only data and can be used by any OS.
>

> I do something very similar to this as I usually have several test systems
> installed on different partitions.
>
> I agree that sharing a $HOME dir between different boots is a recipie for
> grief, however I do store some universal data - bookmarks, address books,
> kwallet in a Dropbox folder and this works very well. Dual purpose - they get
> backed up automatically and shared between different distros. I have a script
> setup that I run fro new install's to restore m config from Dropbox.
>

> #!/bin/sh
> # Remove existing
> rm -f ~/.kde/share/apps/kwallet/kdewallet.kwl
> rm -f ~/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/bookmarks.xml
> rm -f ~/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/bookmarks.xml.tbcache
> rm -f ~/.kde/share/apps/akregator/data/feeds.opml
>
> # Create Links
> ln -s `pwd`/kdewallet.kwl ~/.kde/share/apps/kwallet/kdewallet.kwl
> ln -s `pwd`/bookmarks.xml ~/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/bookmarks.xml
> ln -s `pwd`/pim/feeds.opml ~/.kde/share/apps/akregator/data/feeds.opml
>

> Its best to run it with X shutdown.

Nice suggestion, thanks a lot.

For people with low bandwidth or shaky connections this is
unfortunately not a real solution.

I do a backup of my $HOME daily with rsync to an external USB hard
disk, this allows me to access the data quite easily and I have a
portable solution as well. With the current prices for USB hard disk
this should not be unaffordable, and you have a backup of your data :)
A lot of users tend to forget to backup their data on a regular basis.

Regards, Myriam.

http://www.fsfe.org