universal home partition??

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kubuntu.org
Sun Sep 5 10:14:18 UTC 2010

On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 05:40, BHASKAR SHARMA.N
<bhaskarsharma.n at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think now a linux reinstallation don't format entire
> partitions..simply similar files/folders will get replaced..why
> sticking with kde? That's not much stable as gnome..

Could you please stop bashing about KDE and let people choose their
desktop? If you are not using KDE, I think you should not interfere.
This mailing lsit is about Kubuntu and KDE after all. The mentioned
idea to keep the same /home has absolutely nothing to do with the
choice of the desktop, but with the underlying Linux system.

Also, top-posting is not a good idea in a mailing list, how about
having a look at the etiquette?

> On 9/4/10, Errol Sapir <errol at tzora.co.il> wrote:
>> I have a separate partition for /home. I only use a KDE desktop, and
>> have exclusively used Kubuntu. After installing 10.04 I had several
>> problems with Kubuntu as spoken about in the "impressions of Lucid"
>> thread. I now want to try other distros that use KDE. Is there a way of
>> keeping my same home partition for other distros? I'm not worried about
>> the layout of my home partition but wouldn't want to loose my documents,
>> e-mail etc.  I thought of maybe even having the other distro as a dual
>> (triple) boot. I was thinking about trying Fedora or PClinuxos.

Keep in mind that user ids don't start at the same number in Red Hat
or Debian based systems, so you might get in trouble with that. Also,
some distributions tend to change the distribution repository names in
$HOME, OpenSuSE uses .kde4 instead of .kde for example. So to start
with I suggest you create a new user for the other system. You can
still access your documents if you use a shared folder

Regards, Myriam.

http://www.fsfe.org