universal home partition??

Reinhold Rumberger rrumberger at web.de
Sun Sep 5 07:22:41 UTC 2010

On Saturday 04 September 2010, Errol Sapir wrote:
> I have a separate partition for /home. I only use a KDE desktop,
> and have exclusively used Kubuntu. After installing 10.04 I had
> several problems with Kubuntu as spoken about in the "impressions
> of Lucid" thread. I now want to try other distros that use KDE.
> Is there a way of keeping my same home partition for other
> distros? I'm not worried about the layout of my home partition
> but wouldn't want to loose my documents, e-mail etc.  I thought
> of maybe even having the other distro as a dual (triple) boot. I
> was thinking about trying Fedora or PClinuxos. Errol

Your documents and such will likely survive such an experiment (back
them up anyway!), but your config files most likely won't unless the
other distro uses the same version of KDE and any other program you
use that leaves config files within your home directory.
Basically, while your "valuable" data will likely be intact, your
desktop layout and program configs will likely be corrupted somewhere
along the way, resulting in (best case scenario) visual changes and
reset configurations or (worst case scenario) random crashes caused
by strange values in config files.

  --Reinhold