Ndiswrapper Freezes and Makes Other Things Freeze

dave at thedavefactor.com dave at thedavefactor.com
Sat Sep 4 12:37:23 UTC 2010

Hello again.

Thanks for your replies!  I'm sorry for how long it took me to respond.

[From Brian Wootton]

>> ~~
> If I wrer in your shoes I  would  ditch all your self-installed
> ndiswrapper
> and any other stuff you have installed. And then:
>
> 1. check that your wi-fi hardware is linux compatible on the D-Link
> site, it should
> be, but get one that is if it's not.
> 2. run KNetworkManager,  it's pretty straight-forward - ho ho.
It looks like wireless adapters with native Linux drivers exist, but they're
relatively expensive and have to be ordered online apparently, because I've
never seen one in a store.  Unfortunately, I don't have the money to be buying
new hardware just yet.

[From claydoh at claydoh.com]

> the freezing could be due to bad windows drivers or using a 32bit driver
> file in 64 bit. It also seems that not all D-Link DWA 130 devices have the
> same exact chips in them.
>
> We should probably first try from the beginning and see exactly what
> device ID your adapter has by running the command:
>
> lsusb

My DWA-130 is revision E, from what I can tell.  I used what I thought were the
64-bit XP drivers from the CD that came with the wireless device.

Unfortunately, lsusb hangs when I try to run it.  I ran it before I tried to
install the drivers and it worked fine.

Ugh.  I'm starting to hate wi-fi.

~~~ Dave V. ~~~