Help to get started

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sun Oct 31 12:10:24 UTC 2010

Harry and Sandy wrote:
> Nils, I tried using the command line as you suggested, but with no
> luck.
>
> So I have downloaded a new copy of the .iso using torrent and burned
> that to a DVD with a 2X burn as Doug suggested. I have ended up with
> the same result.

OK, here's another one. Just yesterday I helped a friend to upgrade from
9.10 to 10.10 (via 10.04). After the upgrade was finished and the
machine rebooted, the login page appeared but after login, there was no
desktop. Instead the login page appeared again exactly like you
described in your previous mail. Of course I don't know if your problem
is related to that upgrade problem but after some searching I found out
that the majority of the KDE packages were missing. After I installed
the kubuntu-desktop package, the desktop was there. So you could go to
the command line again from the login page with Ctrl-Alt-F2 and login.
Then use the command

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

and if it then downloads many extra packages you had probably the same
problem that we had yesterday during the upgrade.

> But there are a couple of things that may provide a clue to what is
> happening. When I installed the first time as well as this time I
> got a message during the instillation as follows:-
>
> UBI-Console-setup crashed
> UBI-Console-setup failed with exit code 141.

It seems you are not alone with this crash and it is an old bug which
existed in 10.04 already:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/539463>
However I don't think it is related to your problem of the missing
desktop.

> The other thing is in the Disk Setup page during the installation
> today showed:-
>
> Before
> /dev/sdbi     /devsdb5
> under the top bar
>
> After
> Kubuntu
> under the bottom bar
>
> This suggests to me that Kubuntu did not load during my attempts the
> other day and after the installation today I went into the
> installation process again after installing today and there is no
> sign of Kubuntu in the top bar as though it has still not loaded.

Yes, that really looks like at least something is missing which lets the
installer see that there is a Kubuntu version installed already. And
maybe that missing something is included in the kubuntu-desktop package.

Nils