Help to get started

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat Oct 30 06:55:30 UTC 2010

Harry and Sandy wrote:
> I have installed Kubuntu 10.10 from a live DVD to my Desktop on an
> old 40GB drive which had Windows98 on it. After installation and
> reboot it got to the user and log in page, entered my user name and
> password and then started to proceed to the next page (with has a
> picture of a hard drive) but then it returned to the log in page.
> Every time I tried since after rebooting the same thing happens. As
> this is an old drive I had not used for some time I thought the
> drive might be buggered so I loaded Kubuntu 10.10 on my drive I use
> all the time beside XP Pro. When I rebooted I got the same result.

I suppose it is a problem with your graphics card, possibly together
with desktop effects. A friend has a similar problem with KDE in 10.04
and we didn't find a solution until now, except using Gnome instead
(i.e. Ubuntu instead of Kubuntu).

If you don't fear to use the command line, you can save some download
time if you only add the Gnome part to your current installation. That
could be done if you use Ctrl-Alt-F2 to get a console (from the login
screen). There you enter your user name and password to login. Then type
this command:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

During the installation of the extra packages it will probably ask which
desktop manager you want, gdm or kdm. I would suggest you keep kdm which
is the current one. When it is finished, return to the login page with
Ctrl-Alt-F7. At the login screen there is a blue icon with a down-arrow.
Click on this icon and change the session type from KDE to Gnome. Then
enter your password to login. Hopefully that will give you a desktop
screen instead of returning to the login screen.

I saw the other reply, and yes, burning the iso with slowest possible
speed may be an option. OTOH, you might check the CD for errors from its
boot menu before you burn another one. And if you download another one,
I would suggest you try the Ubuntu version instead of the Kubuntu
version, it might work better on your machine.

Nils