Help to get started

Harry and Sandy harsan at whitsunday.net.au
Sat Oct 30 03:34:32 UTC 2010

Hello,

I have installed Kubuntu 10.10 from a live DVD to my Desktop on an old 40GB drive which had Windows98 on it. After installation and reboot it got to the user and log in page, entered my user name and password and then started to proceed to the next page (with has a picture of a hard drive) but then it returned to the log in page. Every time I tried since after rebooting the same thing happens. As this is an old drive I had not used for some time I thought the drive might be buggered so I loaded Kubuntu 10.10 on my drive I use all the time beside XP Pro. When I rebooted I got the same result.

When I log in to XP Pro it does not recognise my old 40GB drive or the partition on the 160GB drive. Is this normal?

My only experience with computers is to sit down and use them, so I am extremely new to this.

I would appreciate any help to get started so I can get away from MS Windows.

Thank you,

Harry.