[lucid] audiocd:/MP3 is empty; how to fix?

Reinhold Rumberger rrumberger at web.de
Wed Oct 20 23:11:19 UTC 2010

On Thursday 21 October 2010, D. R. Evans wrote:
> Reinhold Rumberger said the following at 10/20/2010 03:55 PM :
> >>   Information (gives "The process for the audiocd protocol died
> >>
> >> unexpectedly" when clicked)
> >
> > Well, this means it can't open the CD for some reason - kinda
> > giving you a hint why the virtual directories might be empty...
>
> If it can't open the CD, how can the "Full CD" directory be
> properly populated?

Have you tried actually copying some of the contents of the
directory? Also, do the contents have proper names (assuming CDDB
info could be fetched)? If they're simply called "CD1.iso" or
something similar (whatever the english default is), all the
information can be gained without accessing the CD once.

> Sorry; I don't mean to be more than usually dense, but I just
> don't see how the conclusion follows from the observed behaviour.
> Isn't opening the CD a prerequisite for obtaining any information
> at all off the disc, just as it would be for any "normal"
> filesystem hierarchy?

Sure - and it works fine here, lucid and latest available KDE from
PPA. I'm just not convinced that any of the information gained
couldn't have been gotten through the normal filesystem channels.
It's only the audiocd-kioslave that died, after all, meaning the
contents of the CD can't be read by KDE. It doesn't mean the CD can't
be read or accessed any other way - it just means some problem either
caused the kioslave to crash or hang so the communication probably
timed out.

To get some clue as to what is goning on, open a konsole, maximise it
and execute "tail -f ~/.xsession-errors". Watch the output as you try
to open the CD, it might contain a clue as to what is going wrong.
Also, you may want to use some non-KDE app to read the CD, just to
see whether there is a problem accessing the CD.

Also, you are in the cdrom group, aren't you?

  --Reinhold