kppp & wvdial

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 06:40:34 UTC 2010

On 19/10/2010 07:18, Chetan Khona wrote:
>   I have a USB modem.  I am using Kubuntu 10.10.
>
> If I connect via wvdial, everything works OK.
>
> But if I connect via kppp, it shows it is connected. ifconfig shows
> proper ip details. knemo shows that it is connected via ppp0.
>
> But ping is not working and I am also not able to browse internet or
> send receive mails.
>
> Please guide me.

I have a feeling that KPPP is "abandonware" these days. I used it for a
usb-modem in 9.10 with success. In 10.04 the modem did not work at all,
some kind of kernel issue. In 10.10 it works fine again but only with
wvdial. KPPP can not see the port /dev/ttyUSB0, have no idea why

have you tried using networkmanager? It works for one of my modems
(CDMA) but not another that is GSM.

kind regards,
Sinclair