Grub too long and 3 Linux

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 20:35:17 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-10-12 at 21:41 +0200, Perry wrote:

> It follows, if I understood correctly, that the mbr is really a "lowest common
> denominator", and any release or OS should be able to write it... but there is
> a catch: M$ pays no attention to other OS and Linux only copes "as well as it
> can", so if an old distro can not  (for example) read the formatting of a more
> recent partition it will fail to recognize it as a booting partition and
> include it in the menu. This is why one should do the update grub from the
> "most up-to-date" linux version.
>
> Hope I've got it right this time.		Perry

Another reason I do clean installs. Whatever is old and crufty is
~gone~. The poor overworked and underpaid devels cannot resolve/update
every single problem from the past, with a stack of what-if? scripting.
They're doing darn good to handle what is in front of them, at the time.
Ric

Linux user# 44256