alternate installer requires CD-ROM device

travis+ml-kubuntu-users at subspacefield.org travis+ml-kubuntu-users at subspacefield.org
Thu Oct 7 20:16:45 UTC 2010

Ahh, found this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick#Known%20Issues

A couple of things are weird.

I could never get the EEE 1215n (new model) to boot from USB, it always went
into BIOS if I hit F2 a few times.  I turned off quiet booting, and another
option, and that slowed it down long enough to hit ESC and boot off USB.

The info on how to enter the kernel args line is wrong for unetbootin and 10.04+

Also, I've tried the various kernel options - it's unclear whether to append
after "--" or insert before - and could get it to load packages but not the
debconf preload config.  Am trying to re-write the flash drive in case it
was mangled somehow.