Question re sata cables

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Oct 6 13:50:57 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, October 06, 2010 09:42:56 am Ric Moore did opine:

> On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 23:48 -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> > Greetings;
> >
> > I have a pretty expensive ASUS M2N-SLA Deluxe motherboard, and I am
> > having lots of log messages from the sata stuff, disconnects and
> > reconnects/resets virtually anytime the cat walks by.  Reaching in
> > and just touching any of the cables will fill a couple pages of the
> > messages log.
> >
> > Has anyone else encountered this, and if so where did you obtain the
> > replacement cables that stopped this particular PITA.  Or, are we
> > stuck with it till the "Next Great Thing"(TM) comes out?
>
> I had to put a dab of silicon at the connection. The socket male/female
> connection is dicey. That fixes it. A loose solder connection was
> suggested, but if that was the case, the silicon fix wouldn't have fixed
> it. Ric

It has also occurred to me that the box hasn't had its annual D&C operation
this summer, as noted by the cpu temps running in the 40-55 range, in C.
So I probably should disconnect it, wheel it to the front deck (its a big
tower on wheels) and take the 90 psi air hose to it.  And pull the heat
sink, clean the by now fried artic silver off and replace it.  That would
give me a good excuse to unplug each one and give its sockets a good blow
job.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)