HELP!!!!!

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Fri Nov 26 09:23:22 UTC 2010

Bill vance wrote:
> I did finally find _pavu_ control, (not pauvcontrol), and it worked,
> once I figured out that it
> needed to be unmuted.

Great!

> Ubuntu works, it was everything else that had problems.  I'll
> download ubuntu-desktop in a
> little while, when I'm through dealling with the email.

If you have first installed Ubuntu, you have "ubuntu-desktop" installed
already. That is the meta package which depends on all the stuff that
makes up the Gnome version. OTOH, I suppose you meant to write "kubuntu-
desktop" (with the k at the beginning) because that is the one that
includes all the KDE stuff.

> One question I forgot to ask earlier:  I find that I kinda like gnome
> for some things, and kde
> for others, so I'm wondering if I can pick which one I want to use
> during boot up/login, or
> will the installation of kubuntu-desktop lock me into that only?
>
> Is there perhaps, some util for swapping desktops?

You don't need to swap desktops if you want to run KDE applications in
Gnome or vice versa. At the login screen you can select your preferred
desktop no matter which applications you want to run. The login manager
should even remember which desktop you prefer and choose that one next
time unless you change it manually.

Nils