test flash drive

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Fri Nov 26 05:55:16 UTC 2010

I've ordered some flash drives at an attractive price, with a
well-known brand name, but they are coming from Hong-Kong,
so I don't know what I'll really get.  Can they be tested some
way, and if so, how?  (Hopefully they will be here in a few days.)
I don't know if flash drives come formatted or not;
presumably I could format one with gparted to any common
format.  If so, what format?  I would think NTFS would be the
most universally useful, assuming they work OK.  Or FAT32?
(I don't remember if gparted can format to M/S formats.)
I use both Linux and Win7.

Thanx for your input--doug