HELP!!!!!

Steve Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Tue Nov 23 20:04:17 UTC 2010

On 23/11/10 13:13, Bill vance wrote:
> Ok, to answer a few questions first.  The only things that look normal
> in /etc/fstab
> are the cdrom and floppy drive entries at the bottom.  Only two of the
> hard drive partitions have entries, and they look like:
>
>   #  /  was on /dev/sda7 during installation
>   UUID=09983a2b978e8843-3e24-432a-96ca-2b9788e8b86e  /  reiserfs relatime  0  1

This fstab definition is fine and these days is the standard fstab type
definition for your partition. The uuid= parameter is specifying the
hardware address of your root partition that is assigned to all
partitions on your hard disks when the partition managers create the
partitions. One word of warning though, if your delete and recreate a
partition or resize a partition it is assigned a new uuid, so the fstab
definition will no longer work. These days using your mtab example,
fstab could mount your root partition via /dev/sda7, uuid= or label=.
> Mtab has only two entries for those partitions as well, but they look
> more like they
> belong in fstab. I.e.:
>
>   /dev/sda7  /  reiserfs  rw,relatime  0  0

This entry in mtab identifies that a linux partition with the uuid
specified in fstab has been found and mounted as the root partition, and
mount read/writable. Unless you have a separate boot partition this will
be your root partition as you are indicating that you were able to boot
your system. Just to eliminate a possibility, you don't have multiple
linux distributions installed on the same physical machine do you?

If you can get to a command shell can you issue the command    cat
/etc/fstab >> ~/fstab   and supply the write error messages you are
getting, also could you supply the output from an ls -l of a directory
you believe you should have write access to?

regards,
Steve