too much work for irq17

Bruce Bales bbales at cox.net
Tue Nov 23 17:45:45 UTC 2010

I have been using kubuntu 8.04 since 2008 and upgrading fairly often.  About a
month ago I tried to upgrade and the machine thrashed around a while then
started sending the message "serial8250: too much work for irq17" then
said "changing to low-graphics mode".  It became useless.  dmesg was full of
"serial8250: too much work for irq17"

Since support for 8.04 will end soon, I decided to install 10.04.  The install
was slow and resulted in lots of "serial8250: too much work for irq17".  I
got the same from installing 9.10 and 10.10.  I even tried ubuntu 10.04.

I reinstalled 8.04 and it seems to be allright, even after an apt-get update
and upgrade.

A google on "too much work for irq17" found several others with the same
problem, mostly with Dell 2400 series computers (like mine).  But no
solutions.

Support for 8.04 runs out soon and I sure don't want to have to leave kubuntu.

Sure would appreciate some help on this.
bruce