Upside down text characters and Wine

Steve Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Mon Nov 22 19:41:50 UTC 2010

On 22/11/10 12:13, Jerry Lapham wrote:
>  I use the DeScribe 5.0 for Win32 word processor running in Wine
> mainly for a monthly church newsletter.  Last month it "printed" just fine to a
> postscript file, which I converted to .pdf to send to the church office.
>
> This month, when I "print" to the postscript file the clipart comes out right-
> side-up but the text characters are upside down.  This is on my Kubuntu 10.04
> 64bit version system.  The Wine version is 1.2.
>
> If I copy the .dwp file to my old system running Kubuntu 8.04 and open it in
> Describe, I can "print" to a postscript file and the text is right-side-up. The
> Wine version is 1.0.
>
> I suspect the Wine update to 1.2 may have happened in the last month and
> caused the problem.  I'd like to either back up to the previous Wine version
> or forward to a new version without the problem but I don't know how.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> 	-Jerry
> Jerry Lapham
> Monroe, OH  45050
> rjlapham at gmail.com
> "I'll sue," said Tom plaintively.

Hi Jerry,
    Before determining it really is wine that is at fault, I would
assume that you are using a printer driver to output to the postscript
file.

    Is the driver you are using a windows driver installed in wines
version of windows or a native linux driver?
    If it is a native linux driver are you using cups?
    Also are the versions of these environments the same on both machines?
    Is the software you are using to convert to pdf the same version on
both systems?
    If the driver is a native linux driver, can you mock up a sample
newletter page in say openoffice writer and check if the resultant pdf
has the same issues (I am assuming here the pdf converter is a native
linux application rather than something you are running under wine)?

    As a possible temporary workaround to the issue, have you looked at
doing you newletter layout in openoffice writer, as this has the
capability of writing directly to pdf rather than having to go through
the "print" processes.

regards,
Steve