HELP!!!!!

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Nov 22 19:34:21 UTC 2010

On Monday, November 22, 2010 02:25:12 pm Clay Weber did opine:

> On Monday, November 22, 2010 12:38:53 pm gene heskett wrote:
> > On Monday, November 22, 2010 12:34:36 pm Jon Piper did opine:
> > > Hi Everyone,
> > >
> > > I'll jump in here eventhough I haven't followed the problem all the
> > > way through.  I have had this same problem many times. Every time I
> > > have changed distributions from SUSE, Mandrake, Mandriva, Fedora
> > > and some others to Kubuntu. Everytime it has not been a problem
> > > with the upgrade but with user permissions; the distributions
> > > listed above and some others start user ID at 1000 - Kubuntu begins
> > > at 500 so all of the permissions in the home directory are assigned
> > > to the root user. Of course that doesn't exist in Kubuntu (unless
> > > you change it).
> > >
> > > The solution to the problem is to change all of the files in Home
> > > partition or folder to the user name.  This can be done entirely
> > > from Dolphin.
> > > This is how:
> > > 1) select the View menu,
> > > 2) Select "Adjust View Properties"
> > > 3) change View Mode to "Details", check "Show Hidden Files" then
> > > click "Additional Information",
> > > 4) check Permissions, Owner, and Groups and anything else you need
> > > (I mark them all). click "OK".
> > >
> > > Now you can see what the situation is and correct it by Right
> > > clicking on a file or directory (folder).  Click the permissions
> > > tab. The user should be set to "Can View and Modify Content" and
> > > the group should be set to "Can View Content". Un-check
> > > "Executable" and change the User and Group to the name of the user
> > > and group who will be using the files. If you have checked a
> > > directory, check the box at the bottom, "Apply changes to all
> > > sub-folders and their contents". You are done if everything works
> > > correctly; sometimes you have to do this to directories that didn't
> > > change - that little problem has existed for 10 years that I can
> > > attest to in every KDE distribution I have used. You can do the
> > > same thing from the command line, but its more trouble.
> > >
> > > Have good fun -- its a great adventure.
> > >
> > > Blessing,
> > >
> > > Jon Piper
> > > ***************

> > Maybe I'm just a wee teeny bit old school here, but why use a file
> > manager that was broken the last time I looked, when a calling up a
> > terminal shell and "sudo chown thatuser:thatuser *" will do exactly
> > the same?
> >
> > Please don't make the 2 second job into half an hour's fiddling, its
> > not a productive use of anyones time.
>
> While the file manager isn't broken, the fact remains that the OP can't
> login to a gui desktop to use one. Which is why I gave the chown
> command to use. Though if the OP has another desktop environmment
> installrd (gnome, fluxbox, etc) it still could be done the gooey way
> from there :)
>
> clay

IF he can get perms for the gui to do its magic. yes. but that is only
possible if the gui knows enough to issue the sudo and fwd his response
back to the sudo command, _and_ if that user is in the sudoers list.

Some distro's (you know who you are) do NOT automatically add the first user
to the sudoers list, and that is inexcusable if they do not setup the root
account with its own password.  I have fiddled around, even going so far as
to reboot to single mode in order to fix that.  There is security, and there
is terminal annoyance of the user over such, so next time he tries a
different distro, and no one can blame him.

Yeah, I'm a little jaded this morning, but that is how I see it after about
13 years of linux only use dating back to RH-5.0.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)