How to load sata_nv before pata_amd on Kubuntu Hardy 8.04

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Nov 8 01:16:01 UTC 2010

On Sunday, November 07, 2010 08:07:56 pm Ric Moore did opine:

> On Sun, 2010-11-07 at 20:33 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:

> > > I'm not sure I understand why you want the devices in specific
> > > order? It's not very often you need to access the device nodes
> > > direct, rather through the mount point. Do you use LABEL or UUID
> > > to mount the partitions?
> > >
> > > / Jonas
> >
> > Hi Jonas.
> >
> > Mainly for consistency across the 10 distros that are installed on
> > this machine. I don't use Label or UUID's to mount them, but just
> > point to the device nodes for the partitions I want to mount.
>
> Being an old grey head, I have yet to figure out WTF UUID's are supposed
> to do for me. I MUCH prefer just using the actual devices. They only
> thing I can imagine would benefit by such a scheme would be a RAID
> device. Is that correct? Someone want to educate me on this? I'd
> appreciate being clued in. Ric

Well, from an even older & grayer beard, the UUID is set at the time the
filesystem is initialized, and is unique to that partition.  It may look a
lot more cumbersome when compared to say LABEL= stuff, but its possible to
apply the same LABEL to every partition on the system, which for me is
about 24, scattered over 4 ea 1Gb disks.  The UUID is unique even in that
busy an environment.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)