CD/DVD reading problem

Alan Dacey grokit at ajinfosearch.com
Wed Nov 3 23:34:31 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, November 03, 2010 06:57:56 pm Fred Henry Jr. wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 4:58 PM, Alan Dacey <grokit at ajinfosearch.com> wrote:

. . . big snip . .

> Upgraded to natty narwhal yesterday.  kernel: 2.6.36-1-generic
>
> I used to always custom compile my kernels, but I have gotten lazy with the
> passing years.  Maybe I should try a custom build.
>

> Thanks much for the insight.
>
> Best,
>
> Fred

Yup, there it is at [1216.390093]; the dreaded " ata2.01: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300) ".

One of my drives is from TSSTcorp, I wonder if that is part of the problem.  I don't remember unplugging it and only using the other one, but I must have.  I tried everything else.
I installed aptosid in a spare partition and that worked for a while (it was called Sidux at the time).  It's a pretty good KDE distro.  Very Debian.  I like the fact that root has it's own password too.

Alan