CD/DVD reading problem

Perry pwhite at bluewin.ch
Wed Nov 3 20:20:55 UTC 2010

Le Wednesday 03 November 2010 18.31:42 Fred Henry Jr., vous avez écrit (you
wrote) :
> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 8:37 AM, Helder Terra <helder.earth at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  Ever since I've installed Kubuntu Maverick, I have a problem about it
> > recognising my CDs/DVDs. If I put a blank one, it normally appears as a
> > empty mdia disk, and I can burn anything in it without problems.
> >
> > But once I try to put a burned one (like a DVD movie, MP3 disk or even a
> > recently K3b burned disk) it takes someime reading it and, in the end, it
> > simply won't appear anywhere, as if no disk was inserted. Only a blank
> > screen where it should show that there was a media inserted.
> >
> > Is anyone having this problem and/or know how to solve it?
On Karmic I had something similar, it recognised empty CD and could read
commercial or recorded CD from another origin, and the CD it burned could be
read by XP, but it failed to detect the CDs it had just burned.

*When I instructed K3b to "close" the writing on the CD (is it "terminate" or
some other word?), then Karmic recognized it.*
The above is not a cure since it should be possible to to access an
"unfinished" media, but it may hint at where the problem resides.

I will follow this thread with interest.

Cheers

> Yes.  I had this problem in maverick, and it remains after my upgrade to
> natty yesterday.
>
> Generic symptom: "media not present"--this goes for audio CDs and DVDs and
> attempts to burn discs.  Only a week ago I could play audio CDs.  It seems
> to have stopped working after a failed burn attempt with k3b.  (So I
>  ordered a cheapy drive to rule out hw fauilure--it hasn't arrived yet).
>
> Meanwhile, the system finds the drive.  All the tests I know how to run
>  show it as present, modules loaded, etc.  Googling turned up numerous
>  identical problems/bug reports, but no fixes.
>
> the eject command works.
>
> I'd love an solution to this problem as well.
>
> 2.6.36-1-generic
>
> cd-info version 0.81 x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
[snip]

--
BOFH excuse #21: POSIX compliance problem