Help to get started

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 12:59:43 UTC 2010

On 02/11/2010 12:17, Harry and Sandy wrote:
> Hello Nils,
>
> The system information for my computer is
>
> Processor = x86 Family 15 Model 44 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~1799 Mhz
> Memory = 960 MB
> Video = VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP
> Sound Devices =  Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
> and Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio Controller

One thing I know from experience is that VIA/S3G chips are very poorly
supported.

You could try this:
1. log in to recovery mode (you should get an option to do that
immediately when the computer is booting up, after bios and such).
Choose "continue to normal login" when/if you get a small menu
2. login as the username and password you set on installation. If this
works you come to a command line console
3. if you are that far at least things are working...
4. type command "cd /etc/X11" and enter
5. once there comes the tricky part of creating a file called xorg.conf
- it is tricky because you have to use a rather non-intuitive editor. I
use one called "nano"
6. so type "nano xorg.conf" and enter
7. in the editor type in the following lines
Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
HorizSync 30-57
VertRefresh 56-70
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
DefaultDepth     24
SubSection "Display"
Depth     24
Modes    "1024x768"
EndSubSection
EndSection

These are very general settings, should work even on old monitors and
can be adjusted later. Save by pressing CTRL and X at the same time,
reply yes to save.
8. type command "sudo reboot now", give your password and pray

hope that might help, if not I would consider reinstalling from scratch
from a new media

Sinclair