DKMS and nvidia drivers not working properly in Lucid

Steve Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Thu May 27 20:55:07 UTC 2010

On 27/05/10 02:38, Mark Greenwood wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 May 2010 22:19:37 Steve Morris wrote:
>
>> I applied a number of updates last night through synaptic to Lucid. Two
>> of the update were an updated kernel and an update to the nvidia driver.
>> The kernel was installed fine, the nvidia driver installed fine but the
>> dkms interfacing has stuffed the system.
>> When the nvidia install triggered the dkms interaction, dkms said it was
>> removing all modules (I have seen in the past when using the Lucid dkms
>> under Karmic that when it said it was removing all module it was
>> removing everything interfaced to dkms, not just the module being
>> updated), why?
>> Also dkms said it was only building the nvidia module for the currently
>> active kernel, why not all installed kernels?
>> After finishing the update and rebooting, when xorg was started my
>> monitor displayed a dialog saying input was not supported (this is an
>> indication that the resolution/refresh rate being used by xorg was not
>> compatible with the monitor) even though the xorg.conf configuration
>> file that was working fine before the update had not been altered. I got
>> this monitor issue with all kernels selectable from grubs menu.lst. Why
>> was this happening and how do I fix it, and how do I stop these issues
>> from happening again?
>>
>> regards,
>> Steve
>>

> A lot of people have had the problem where kernel headers weren't correctly installed.
>
> Try sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic
>
> and see if that helps.
>
> Mark

Linux-headers-generic is a meta package that points to the kernel
headers for the latest kernel version only. I have 3 kernels installed
because fortunately kernel updates don't remove older kernels. Grub
thinks I have 6 kernels installed because there a six in /boot but the
module libraries only exist for the latest 3 (I suspect this is because
kernel uninstalls through synaptic are not being done properly, but that
is a separate issue that as yet is unverified). The kernel headers are
not the issue, dkms was able to install the driver by compiling against
the kernel headers.
Subsequent to writing the original email I fixed the issue about the
input not supported message by rebuilding xorg.conf from scratch using
the one being used under Mandriva. But the question still remains, why
did xorg which was not being touched fail to start when the xorg.conf
being used was untouched from the one that was working prior to this
update process starting?

regards,
Steve