kubuntu-users Digest, Vol 64, Issue 38

William Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Sun May 23 21:32:01 UTC 2010

On 05/23/2010 02:22 PM, Billie Walsh wrote:
> On 05/23/2010 03:29 AM, Bill vance wrote:
>>> Message: 8
>>> Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 19:25:10 +0300
>>> From: Nigel Ridley<nigel at prayingforisrael.net>
>>> Subject: Re: kubuntu-users Digest, Vol 64, Issue 33
>>> To: Kubuntu user technical support<kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
>>>
>>> On 05/22/2010 01:41 PM, Bill vance wrote:
>>> [snip]

>>> Sudo aptitude install thunderbird
>>>
>> Thanks for the reminder, it slipped by me completely.
>>
>> Unfortunately, now that I have it, I find that the print on it, and
>> it's wizards, is even smaller
>> yet, than everything I've allready got.  Most of that I could puzzle
>> through with a large
>> enough magnifying glass, but this is worse.  :-(
>>
>> Computers can be such crap.  I'm beginning to wonder if I can display
>> a jpeg on an
>> abacus.....
>>
>> Bill
>>

> I know this sounds terrible but why don't you make the print bigger? In
> my installation the default was so small my poor old eyes just couldn't
> see it unless I stuck my nose right up to the screen. I set the minimum
> font size to 18 as a balance to up close and far away. [ Edit >
> Preferences > Display > Formatting Tab > Advanced ] Set the font and
> minimum size to whatever you want. For the top half of the T-Bird window
> use the system settings.

one of my first fixes after a new installation is to go the fonts
settings in the appearance section, and change the DPI into 96 DPI. no
need to change any font sizes afterwards, everything looks normal
afterwards. for some reason, KDE always uses a too small font by
default, i guess it assumes everyone has a 25+ inch monitor nowadays...
but poor me is still on a 17 inch CRT monitor, even if the resolution is
1280x1024... :P

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems