Cannot set second screen beside first screen

Arnaud bourree arnaud.bourree at gmail.com
Sun May 23 14:58:51 UTC 2010

2010/5/21 Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com>:
> I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 / 1505E with 1680x1050 built-in LVDS and
> external VGA connected to a 1680x1050 LCD monitor. I can get the
> external monitor to mirror the regular display, but I cannot put them
> side-by-side with the KDE System Settings tool.
>
> The KDE System Settings tool sees the external VGA monitor as the
> "first" monitor and the built-in LVDS as the "second". When I
> configure the LVDS to the right of the external VGA monitor, the LVDS
> goes blank. When I configure the LVDS to the left of the external VGA
> monitor, the external VGA goes blank.
>
> What must I do to get these monitors configured?
>
> I'm using Kubuntu 9.10, KDE 4.2.2. Thanks.
>
> --
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://gibberish.co.il
> http://what-is-what.com

Hello,

I also failed to used krandr, so I write a simple script based on
xrandr command line tool.
I run each time I plug my 2nd monitor.
It set my 2nd monitor right of my laptop.

#!/bin/bash
xrandr --output LVDS1 --auto --preferred --output VGA1 --auto --right-of LVDS1

I hop that will help you

--
Arnaud