9.04: problem with xsane, scanner and webcam

Nigel Ridley nigel at prayingforisrael.net
Thu May 20 16:56:18 UTC 2010

On 05/20/2010 07:39 PM, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have used a (brother) scanner connected to a Laptop
> running 8.04 without a problem, however after upgrading to
> 9.04 I obtain the following error when I try to scan a
> document with xsane:
> Failed to open device ‘v4l:/dev/video0′:  Invalid
> argument.
>
> Somehow xsane confuses now the scanner with the webcam so I
> commented out the following line
> “/dev/video0″ line in /etc/sane.d/v4l.conf.
>
> But then xsane tells me Failed to Open Device in XSane
>
> Lsusb tells me:
> Bus 003 Device 003: ID 04f9:0182 Brother Industries, Ltd Composite Device
> so it seems to be a xsane problem.
>
> I looked up in
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xsane/+bug/257533?comments=all
> but it seems the bug was not solved and commenting out the
> line in v4l did not solve the problem.
>
> Can anybody help me?
>
> thanks
>
> Uwe Brauer
>

> Bus 003 Device 003: ID 04f9:0182 Brother Industries, Ltd Composite Device

I had the same problem when using 9.04 and 9.10.
As soon as I started Xsane it would automatically choose the webcam but give me the option, via a
drop down menu, of choosing my Epson scanner.

Uncomment the following line “/dev/video0″ line in /etc/sane.d/v4l.conf. and you should have a
drop down menu to choose your scanner next time you start Xsane.