Wrong video driver being used in Lucid

Steve Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Tue May 18 12:10:12 UTC 2010

On 18/05/10 07:44, Steve Morris wrote:
> On 18/05/10 07:17, William Hamra wrote:
>> On 05/18/2010 12:12 AM, Steve Morris wrote:
>>> I have an nvidia Gforce 7600GS video card and I have "upgraded" to
>>> Lucid
>>> via the alternate cd (it didn't wipe my system/home directories but
>>> effectively installed everything else from scratch even though using
>>> the
>>> expert mode) from Karmic where I was using the nvidia binary driver.
>>> The
>>> upgrade to Lucid has replaced the nvidia binary with the stupid nouveau
>>> driver which doesn't work properly (kde has the desktop display
>>> configured at 1280x1024 @ 60 Hz but the driver is running at
>>> 1280x1024 @
>>> 50 Hz).
>>> I have now installed the nvidia binary driver via the nvidia-current
>>> package and the nvidia-glx package but the system is not using this
>>> nvidia driver. In the absence of an xorg.conf how does one force the
>>> system to use the nvida binary driver when installation of the package
>>> does not activate it (it is contentious as to whether or not
>>> installation of the package should force configure the system given
>>> that
>>> on my laptop which is using an intel graphics chip an install of Lucid
>>> from scratch on a newly formatted system installed the nvidia binary
>>> drivers for whatever reason, but it is correctly using the intel i915
>>> driver).
>>> I have tried a   sudo update-alternatives --display xserver-xorg   but
>>> it says there are no alternatives and,   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh
>>> xserver-xorg   appears to do nothing.
>>>
>>> regards,
>>> Steve
>>>
>> in a terminal, run the following:
>> sudo nvidia-xconfig
>>
>> this will generate a xorg.conf file that instructs X to use "nvidia".
>> as a precaution, make sure you have "linux-headers-generic" installed as
>> well, so that the nvidia driver can be configured correctly.
>>
>> sudo aptitude install linux-headers-generic
>>
> Thanks William. I hadn't used nvidia-xconfig because I have had issues
> with it generating an xorg.conf that is wrong and stuffing up a
> working system because of it.
> I already have linux-headers-generic installed but that package is for
> the wrong version of the kernel. I now have installed the headers for
> the kernel installed and will see if that fixes things on the next boot.
>
> regards,
> Steve

I have finally enabled the nvidia driver. I had to use apt-get to
install the linux header package for the kernel I am using because even
though synaptics said it had downloaded and installed it, it hadn't. I
am also using xorg.conf from Mandriva as the settings used by Ubuntu at
1280x1024 are not compatible with my monitor, and nvidia-xconfig doesn't
generate the modelines needed for proper functionality either.

regards,
Steve