How best to activate a mobile internet modem/ SIM card @ Kubuntu Karmic?

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Mon May 17 04:53:49 UTC 2010

Bas Roufs wrote:
> Hello Sinclair
>
> Your feedback seems quite useful. I already intended to soon install Lucid.
> For now, 2 question remain.
>
>> Second, remove the PIN using a phone.
>
> Explain, please!
> The "PIN" is one of the codes given to me by the mobile phone company
> for the internet SIM card... How could I "remove" it?
>
>> Kppp must be run as "kdesudo kppp" or you get headaches, I made a
>> shortcut myself.
>
> Could you briefly explain how to make such a "shortcut"?
>
> Thanks, respectfully yours,
>
> Bas.

Put the sim-card in a phone and use the normal phone menus to remove the
PIN. As for the second question, in the Desktop Folder view right-click
and create a "link to application" and set the command to "kdesudo kppp".

You can also scout around for a package for UMTSMON, I dont remember
where I found it. The application works but I find I get more control
with Kppp.

As for Networkmanager (whether gnome or kde) it seems to sometimes "see"
the card and sometimes not. In any way I have never managed to make it work.