Unable to remotely login to KDE with VNC

Jim Cunning jcunning at cunning.ods.org
Wed May 12 19:25:55 UTC 2010

I have a workstation at my office that I cannot login to using a local
tightVNC and x11vnc at the remote system.  When I enter the password, my
vncviewer window closes and after reconnecting to the remote system, the login
screen is still present.  I know it's not a password issue, because this only
happens when the correct password is entered.  If I'm already logged-in,
there's no problem, even if the session was locked and required entering a
password.

I'm aware that gdm has a parameter (KillInitClients=false) to disable this
behavior, but I also saw somewhere that KDE (kdm) does not use this.  I'm
confused by this, because gdm is the process displaying the login splash
screen.  Putting "KillInitClients=false" into /etc/gdm/gdm.conf and
/etc/gdm/custom.conf has no effect.

Anyone know where/what kdm needs to disable this behavior?
--
Jim