Upgrade to 10.04 broke wireless.

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at googlemail.com
Sun May 9 09:16:57 UTC 2010

On Sunday 09 May 2010 07:28:43 Jonas Norlander wrote:
> 2010/5/8 Jonas Norlander <jonorland at gmail.com>:
> >>
> >> It is not a problem with WPA other than having two copies of wpa-supplcant
> >> running at the same time.
> >>

> > Why would it start two? I haven't installed or used Wicd and I only
> > have one wireless network card.
> >
> > Anyhow started to fiddling some more with it. Ended up removing
> > network-manager-kde and installed plasma-widget-networkmanagement and
> > manage to get it to work. I had to manually add my wireless network in
> > "Manage connections" for it to work. I'm not sure why I'm just happy
> > it works again.
> >
> > / Jonas
> >

> Guess I spoke to soon. Booting this morning and it refuses to connect
> to my WPA2-PSK network.
>
> / Jonas

I've seen some strange things with Network Manager along those lines. My experience doesn't extend to WiFi but I've had issues with 3G connections working one day and then not working the next. I've noticed two things I did that seem to have cured it.

The first, and this is partially conjecture on my part, is that I always got connection failures when I had to type in a password. I use KWallet to store all my passwords in, so what I did was to setup KWallet so that it had no password, get NM to store passwords in KWallet, and then I never have to delay things by typing in a password.

Once I'd done that, I deleted the network connection and created a new one with a different name.

Since I've done these two things I've had no trouble, whereas before it was failing to connect every 3rd attempt. But it certainly seems to me that once you have a connection set up with NM, doing any editing of it (including typing in passwords) is likely to cause that connection to break. I tried wicd but it doesn't do 3G connections, which is a bit rubbish.

Mark