Upgrade to 10.04 broke wireless.

Kaj Haulrich kaj at haulrich.net
Sat May 8 17:52:32 UTC 2010

On Saturday 08 May 2010 17:24:13 Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Saturday, May 08, 2010, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> > Yes. I removed network-manager completely before installing wicd on all
> > laptops (and vice-versa) - all failed with: "Bad password". It's the
> > first time I've ever experienced an upgrade/re-install to break
> > something important.  Hence my report.
>
> And did you reboot after purging NM???   If not, then the wpa-supplicant
> that NM created was still running.
>
> ps aux wpa
>
> would show you what is running.

Yes.  In one of my attempts I installed wicd, then purged network-manager,
rebooted and found only one instant of wpa_supplicant running. The problem
went away after downgrading to the karmic version of wicd.

It's definitely a lucid issue. To make sure I just installed several karmic
versions of Kubuntu and Ubuntu. All connected immediately. The same procedure
with all lucid versions all failed with the "Bad Password" message -
regardless of network-manager or wicd.

BTW, the forums are buzzing with the same problem. No solution in sight. So
I'll stick with karmic.

Regards
Kaj Haulrich.
--
--- Sent from a 100% Microsoft-free computer---
--------- Running Linux Kubuntu 10.04 ---------