My experience with Kontact, Addressbook and Akonadi

Valter Mura valtermura at gmail.com
Sat May 8 15:39:29 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I want to share some experience as stated in the subject, I know one of the
most annoying issue are the problems with the new management of data.

First of all, I put the Akonadi tray in my System tray and I start Akonadi
from there. It gets me a warning regarding the outgoing messages folder not
found, but I don't care, I suppose it checks in .local/share/local-mail and
Kmail currently uses another path and folder (.kde/share/apps/ect, ect).

The problem with the "addressbook": opening the config dialog with right click
on the Akonadi tray, I went in the tab "Akonadi resource config" and "added" a
new Akonadi addressbook resource pointing to .local/share/contacts for my
personal contacts. Then I needed to create other addressbooks different from my
personal one, so I create another "akonadi_vcarddir_resource" inside the
dialog pointing to .local/share/contacts/name_of_folder_you_want, and after
adding in it (I renamed it within Kaddressbook inside Kontact) from within
Kmail the addresses. And again for my other addressbooks... You will find the
new folders you created inside .local/share/contacts.
Now Akonadi doesn't show anymore, as per my experience, the annoying error
report.
One more thing: I had a problem in choosing, after that, the addresses from
the "To" or the "Cc" field inside a new or reply message. I resolved changing
(adding) the new resources I created from System settings/Advanced/Kde
Resources, activating them and setting my new Personal Contacts addressbook as
default.

I got also, always in the Akonadi check report, an error regarding "Resource
Agents not found": I resolved it, hopefully, by adding the string:

XDG_DATA_DIR="/usr/share/akonadi/agents"

to the file user-dirs.dirs in .config folder (in my file that item wasn't
present)

all of these operations can be done as normal user and not as root, so it is
very simple to work with them.

Hope this was useful to somebody...

Regards,
--