Upgrade to 10.04 broke wireless.

Kaj Haulrich kaj at haulrich.net
Sat May 8 11:49:36 UTC 2010

On Saturday 08 May 2010 13:35:32 Nils Kassube wrote:
> Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> > The upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04 - followed by re-install x3 - broke my
> > wireless completely, wicd as well as network-manager. Everything
> > appeared OK until I tried to connect via WPA personal. Then it kept
> > going like this: "Bad password" (it wasn't). My network was visible
> > enough, but no go. I tried several laptops (Medion Akoyas) with
> > RT2860STA cards - without ever getting them to connect. (Bad
> > password). I even tried to install Ubuntu, Uubuntu Netbook Remix,
> > vanilla Kubuntu and Kubuntu Netbook Remix - all failed to connect.
>
> Did you install wicd for all versions or did you also try to use
> network-manager without wicd installed? You can only have either
> network-manager or wicd installed. Unfortunately there is no dependency
> conflict in the Lucid packages, so if you install wicd you should
> uninstall network-manager.

Yes. I removed network-manager completely before installing wicd on all
laptops (and vice-versa) - all failed with: "Bad password". It's the first
time I've ever experienced an upgrade/re-install to break something important.
Hence my report.

Kaj Haulrich.
--
--- Sent from a 100% Microsoft-free computer---
--------- Running Linux Kubuntu 10.04 ---------