Fwd: Re: grub rescue

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Fri May 7 20:05:21 UTC 2010

On 05/08/2010 03:20 AM, Goh Lip wrote:

Javier, since I am logging off soon for a few hours, and in case you do
not have much success,(likely, sorry), I am writing to you separately
and not to confuse you with your main aim of booting up.

Your fdisk output do not look 'normal'.
>     Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sda1   *           1       17119   137508336   83  Linux
> /dev/sda2           17120       17849     5863725    5  Extended
> /dev/sda5           17120       17849     5863693+  82  Linux swap / Solaris

A very small extended partition and missing sda3 and sda4, presumably
logical partitions.

I would highly recommend  you reinstall your kubuntu;
*but before that* please "redo" your partitioning.
Download "gparted", google for it please, and burn to a cd.
Boot up the gparted cd and create partitions and a swap.

I suggest, and you don't have to follow this...
1 partition of 20 Gb for kubuntu
1 partition of 20 Gb for other  (40 Gb if windows)
I partition of 100 Gb for your data
1 swap of 2 Gb

If you need help, others will help you too
I estimate I'll log on after 0500hrs gmt saturday

Good luck, Javier and good night.(morning) - Goh Lip