wireless connection problems

Bruce Marshall bmarsh at bmarsh.com
Fri May 7 14:37:28 UTC 2010

On Thursday, May 06, 2010, pkaplan1 wrote:
> I used wicd under Karmic and this seems to be a total bust under
> Lucid.  It  rejects all attempts to connect, telling me that my password
> is incorrect (which it isn't).
>
> Have solutions to either network manager been posted?
> Paul

I have NEVER gotten kmanager to connect in the last 3 kubuntu releases and
always have to resort to a wired connection in order to install wicd.

And wicd has always worked well until lucid.

The problem??    Normally when you install wicd, it removes network manager
and everything works well.  For lucid, NM is NOT removed and this causes
problems with wpa-supplicant having two copies,  one for NM and the other for
wicd.

The answer??    Remove NM like it should have been removed.  Wicd will work
fine after a reboot or shutdown of the running NM.