wireless connection problems

Gerardo luisgmarengo at aim.com
Fri May 7 05:13:36 UTC 2010

pkaplan1 wrote:
> I haven't had wireless problems on kubuntu for several years until Lucid.
> I did a fresh install and knetwork manager will not automatically connect to
> my LAN, although I can manually start the connection thru the manager.  Even
> after the connecting, I keep getting a dialog asking for the password (which
> is already entered correctly.
>
> I used wicd under Karmic and this seems to be a total bust under Lucid.  It
> rejects all attempts to connect, telling me that my password is incorrect
> (which it isn't).
>
> Have solutions to either network manager been posted?
> Paul

I had the same problem too.  I could connect to an unencrypted, but not
to an WPA network.  I ended up removing network manager and using
wpa_supplicant.

Here is my /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_psk.conf
------ BEGIN ---------------
ap_scan=2
network={
             scan_ssid=0
             proto=WPA
             key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
             pairwise=TKIP
             group=TKIP
             ssid="My Router SSID"
             psk="My Password"
             }
----- END -------------

And here's my /etc/network/interfaces
----- BEGIN --------

# The loopback network interface
auto lo wlan0
iface lo inet loopback

iface wlan0 inet dhcp
#       address 192.168.1.30
#       netmask 255.255.255.0
         wireless-essid children
         gateway 192.168.1.1
         pre-up wpa_supplicant -B -Dwext -iwlan0 -c
/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_psk.conf
         post-down killall -q wpa_supplicant

This gets me online as soon as I boot up.  At any other time, I can
bring it up with 'sudo ifup wlan0'.