10.04 upgrade

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sun May 2 17:31:29 UTC 2010

Nigel Ridley wrote:
> On 05/02/2010 12:42 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > If you want to avoid the server overload on the first days after
> > release on your next upgrade, you can download the alternate CD
> > via bittorrent and then do the cdromupgrade [1]. Then the upgrade
> > will only download from the Ubuntu servers the packages which are
> > not on the CD already.

> Strange you mentioning that as I was gong to ask how to do it. I have
> another 3 boxes to upgrade and have already got the alternate CD
> burned and waiting....

OK, if you can still use an extra hint, you don't even need to burn a CD
if you are familiar with the command line. You can mount the alternate
iso file as a loop device like this:

sudo mount -oloop kubuntu-10.04-alternate-amd64.iso /mnt

and then the command to start the upgrade would be this:

kdesudo "/mnt/cdromupgrade"

Sorry, I didn't think of that when I wrote the previous mail.

Nils