Lucid Lynx and grub

Clay Weber claydoh at midmaine.com
Sat May 1 16:55:27 UTC 2010

<bmarsh at bmarsh.com>

> wrote:
> > On Friday, April 30, 2010, Mario Andes wrote:
> >> Lucid Lynx' grub doesn't start but the first system in the list!
> >> Sure, I can select another one. The advantage of grub 2 was
that I
> >> didn't
> >> have to select a system every time.
> >
> > Maybe there is a feature of grub that I never knew about, but
grub for
> > me has
> > always started the "default system".    That default system is
defined
> > as the
> > number of the entry of the system in the list of systems grub
knows
> > about.
> >
> > The normal default = 0   as the system is installed, and that is
what
> > you are
> > seeing happen.
> >
> > The default is defined in  /etc/default/grub as:
> >
> > GRUB_DEFAULT=0
> >
> > If you want it to boot some other system entry,  change the
above to be
> > the
> > number of that entry in the list.

Have  you looked at the documentation here?:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Configuring GRUB 2

"GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT= If set to true this setting will automatically set
the last selected OS from the menu as the default OS on the next
boot.
No commands need be run to set the default OS.
Any time a menuentry is manually selected from the GRUB2 menu, it
becomes the default OS."

This is probably what you need to add/edit to your /etc/default/grub

As for GRUB_DEFAULT, this is what that option is supposed to be
doing:

"GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
The information in this section applies to GRUB 1.98 and later.
Enables the "grub-reboot" and "grub-set-default" commands to set
the default OS.
The default OS will not be set by an interactive selection of an OS
from the menu.
grub-set-default Sets the default boot entry until changed.
The format is sudo grub-set-default X, with X being the menuentry
position (starting with 0 as the first entry) or the exact menu string.
Examples: sudo grub-set-default 3 or sudo grub-set-default "Ubuntu,
Linux 2.6.32-15-generic"
To obtain the existing menuentry choice number (starting from 0) or
the menuentry "string", run grep menuentry /boot/grub/grub.cfg"

Note the version used above:" 1.98 or above". Karmic uses grub 1.97,
and Lucid is using 1.98, so this is probably why you are seeing this
change in behavior.

clay