error after upgrade to kubuntu 10.04

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat May 1 14:01:31 UTC 2010

mierdatutis mi wrote:
> I have an error after upgrade to kubuntu 10.04.
> When I do startx it says me:

> Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so

To me it looks like you were using the proprietary ATI driver before the
upgrade and it isn't in your new system any more. I'm not really
familiar with ATI cards, but I think you should have a file
"/etc/X11/xorg.conf" and with that file xorg is setup to use the
proprietary driver. I would rename that file like this

sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak

and then try the startx command again. Then xorg should automatically
select an available driver like vesa. It may run in low graphics mode
but then you can at least login and try to install the proprietary ATI
driver again. That would be at K-menu -> Programs -> System -> Hardware
Drivers (I hope I guessed the English terms right).

If that doesn't work, you could revert to the state before renaming the
xorg.conf with the command

sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Nils