10.04 upgrade

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat May 1 06:41:35 UTC 2010

Nigel Ridley wrote:
> On 05/01/2010 07:49 AM, Nigel Ridley wrote:
> > How long did the upgrade from 9.10 take approx ?

That depends on your network bandwidth, the amount of installed packages
and on your machine speed. Generally it takes about as long as
installing the same amount of packages for the first time because the
upgrade just replaces the existing packages with the ones from the new
release. It is nearly a week ago that did the last upgrade 9.10 -> 10.04
on a 1.7GHz Pentium M machine and IIRC it was about 1 hour with only a
few extra packages installed.

> > And was there any problems with non-standard repo app installs?

The upgrade disables non-standard repos and you will have to enable them
again after the upgrade. I never had such problems with upgrades, but
maybe it depends on the particular apps.

> Does the upgrade get rid of all the previously installed kernels?

No.

> If not, how does one clear them out?

After the upgrade uninstall the old linux-image-* and linux-headers-*
packages using your preferred package manager.

Nils