"Grub loading ...Error 18" - HD's not accessible any more. (Kubuntu Karmic/ WinXP)

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 21:38:58 BST 2010

Thanks, all of you, for your feedback so far. However, I still did not
manage to solve the problem .... Taking into account the apparently
still essential role of ISO CD's, I am considering to buy a small
external USB 2.0 device - as well as some blank CD's. The device needs
to be able to play and burn CD's and DVD's:  in collaboration with my
ASUS Eee PC Netbook as well as with any other PC in a Kubuntu 9.10
environment. The device I am considering is a "LaCie Portable DVD±RW".
According to the specs I have seen so far, the device seems to
function with Linux and several other OS. See:
http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=11351
Does anybody have experience with such a device in combination with a
netbook, K3B and Kubuntu?

>> There is no need to chroot if he can boot direct (not using livecd) to
>> kubuntu using the grub rescue disk.
>>
>> He will need to chroot into kubuntu partition if he is at
>> livecd system.

"Chroot": are you pointing at "Method 3...." dealt with at this page:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Reinstalling%20GRUB%202