Folders display as files --solved

Jerry Lapham rjlapham at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 03:20:02 UTC 2010

On Sunday 28 March 2010 03:34:07 pm Jerry Lapham wrote:

> On Sunday 28 March 2010 12:55:38 am Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> > On Sunday 28 March 2010, Jerry Lapham wrote:
> > > Both my desktop and laptop run Kubuntu 9.10.  I have partitions on
> > > each of them called /data and /data2 with symlinks for each
> > > in /home/jerry.  /home/jerry is shared using Samba.
> > >
> > > Until yesterday when I displayed the desktop's /home/jerry in
> > > Dolphin on the laptop it showed /data and /data2 as folders and I
> > > could open them.  When I displayed the laptop's /home/jerry in
> > > Dolphin on the desktop it showed /data and /data2 as folders and
> > > I could open them.  Now when I do it they show as files - type
> > > unknown.
> > >
> > > I haven't changed anything but I did accept a bug fix update which
> > > I recall included Samba.
> > >
> > > Anybody else experienced anything like this?
> >
> > Only in VirtualBox.
> > Your Samba upgrade may have changed the Samba config. Did you check
> > to see whether this might be the case?
>
> smb.conf does show a date modified of 3/24/10 but the only non-comment
> difference from Kubuntu 8.04 is in printers.  8.04 still works.
>
> 	-Jerry

I added

[DATA]
path = /data
guest ok = yes
read only = no

[DATA2]
path = /data2
guest ok = yes
read only = no

to my share definitions in samba.conf on both the desktop and the laptop.  Now
everything works.  Apparently the updated samba doesn't recognize symlinks.

	-Jerry
Jerry Lapham
Monroe, OH  45050
rjlapham at gmail.com