Kubuntu/Ubuntu does not remove everything from memory at shutdown

Steve Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Thu Mar 25 20:44:59 GMT 2010

On 24/03/10 12:34, Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 March 2010, Steve Morris wrote:
>
>> I have to work around an issue that the
>> live cd is not compatible with my monitor. I have an Acer AL1716
>> flat screen monitor, and when the Karmic live cd loads the
>> desktop I get a black screen with a floating dialogue saying
>> "Input not supported". From memory the only way to fix this is to
>> switch to another tty session, login, and run Xrandr to change
>> the resolution/refresh rate, but I will need to play around.
>>
> Doesn't the live CD have some sort of "safe graphics" mode you can
> choose on boot? That should use some VGA resolution and driver, which
> should be usable with pretty much any monitor&  graphics card
> configuration.
>
>    --Reinhold

The live cd does have a "safe graphics mode" but that only impacts the
resolution kubuntu boots in, it has no impact on the resolution X starts
in, so the issue still occurred.
Also for some reason I could not used ctrl-alt-F1 to switch to that tty
session, but I could use ctrl-alt-delete to reboot the live cd, which
made no difference to the sound issue in windows.

regards,
Steve