Kubuntu Stole My Computer

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 09:39:27 UTC 2010

:

>> > I am unsure, whether this is overkill for your problem.

No doubt, there are also less drastic methods to deal with the points
of attention at my desktop - but such methods are probably less
effective and more time consuming. Moreover, the configuration at the
two Linux partitions I have now, is a result of much trial- and error
- much of it I would configure now differently anyway - e.g. /home at
a separate partition.

>> > Anyway,
>> > You do not need to backup your data for this purpose.

I usually backup my data anyway - with or without fresh installs.

>> > Just keep a separate partition for your /home and you
>> > are good to go for any reinstallation or repair install or
>> > whatever you'll have in mind.

Recently, I tried to do so recently when installing Kubuntu Karmic
netbook remix at a netbook. However, I only did manage to use 'guided
partitioning' during the installation procedure. Somehow, manual
partitioning did not work. That's why, I am wondering whether there is
some help page explaining this partitioning process step by step - in
English, Dutch, French or German.

>> The way I read him, he'll be installing an earlier KDE 4 version. A
>> backup would certainly be advisable in this case...

This is exactly what I intend. Via this fresh install I want to go
back from KDE 4.4. to 4.3 at the production partition(s).

> I concur. I keep /opt on a separate partition and anything special as in
> projects or files go there. Then I can do a fresh install without losing
> much. I keep backup copies of some of my dot-files and addressbook data
> there as well.

Pls. explain a bit more: what exactly is the function of /opt and why
would it be useful to keep it on a separate partition.

> Let's face it, we all pretty much dink with our installs
> and sometimes it's one dink too many. Then I fresh install to get rid of
> the ghosts in the machine. Just my two cents. Ric

That's exactly how I feel about it.

Respectfully yours,

Bas.