Kubuntu Stole My Computer

Bill vance faptagon at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 09:29:26 UTC 2010

Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 13:51:45 +0100
From: Alvin <info at alvin.be>
Subject: Re: Kubuntu Stole My Computer
To: kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com

>On Thursday 18 March 2010 13:47:45 Bill vance wrote:
>> Howdy;
>>
>> A week or so ago, I got a slew of bug-fix/updates.  Since then
>> My machine has gotten slower, and slower.  It sits there doing
>> nothing, and the instant I move the mouse, or start to type, the
>> drive light comes on, and stays on, and on, and on, and on.
>>
>> Going through the launcher, it took over twenty minutes to load
>> Firefox and get the bookmarks list going.  It's getting worse by
>> the day.
>>
>> The System Monitor, and top don't tell me that what it is, but do>
>> say that its doing mostly reads, and some writes on my hard drive,
>> and is using 100% of the CPU's time.
>>
>> Can someone __PLEASE__ tell me how to fix this?
>
>Not directly, but we can help you look for the process that is causing this.
>
>I have experienced the same, due to different reasons:
>- Nepomuk
>- Akonadi resources
>- Intel graphics drivers
>
>Your problem could be I/O related too. Use iotop to check.

According to iotop the big users are:

   kdeinit4:  (various sub-progs)
   X -br nolisten
   Firefox

Something odd about the last one:  I had removed some add-ons to firefox,
hoping to speed it up, and experienced some strange behavior when shutting it
down.  Later, when starting it back up, it almost finished it's
startup, and then
vanished.  When I got the above from iotop, firefox shouldn't even have been
there, but was in the background somewhere, and doing something unauthorized.

Bill